You may have heard that Subrosa, Manchester’s new Social Centre, is up and running. We’ve already had lots of interesting events including gigs, film screenings, skill shares, discussions and talks – we’d love to have more! Please help us out by circulating this link to your networks, or get in touch if you have an idea for an event you’d like to put on.
You can subscribe to Subrosa’s Shout Out list by sending an email to email@example.com
Subrosa is a social centre and vegan community cafe in Moss Side run by volunteers. It aims to provide a space where people can meet up and share and explore ideas over a brew and some tasty food. We hope the space will be used to get people thinking and talking about stuff which affects us all: the environment, our society, how we feel, our politics and economics.
It aims to be a place where new ideas can be created and shared openly without any form of oppression. We believe in everyone having an equal say; that communities working together and helping each other is the best way forward.
We are keen for the space to be used for events, and need your help to put the word out, book your events at Subrosa, and help create a vibrant and active social centre. Please forward this email on and get in touch if you would like to host an event at Subrosa, contact details and more info about booking events below.
Looking forward to co-hosting events and creating a great project together!
Who are we?
Subrosa is a non-hierarchical member’s co-op and was set up by a group of people who believe in self-organising and want to see a social centre in Manchester. We are mostly based in south Manchester, and are workers, students, unemployed, retired, etc. We are keen for the group to grow and involve more people of any age and skills – take a look at our website if you’d like to get involved
What kinds of events can happen at Subrosa?
Anything really! See our calendar to check out previous events – we want the space to be used so get in touch if you are interested in putting an event on. It’s not an exhaustive list but here are some ideas;
- Workshops / talks / film screenings
- Spoken word / poetry / storytelling
- Fundraisers / Gigs / Open Mic Nights / Quizes / fun stuff– particularly for Fridays and Saturdays, but other nights of the week too! (also get in touch if you are up for hosting a regular night!)
- Open Meetings / Info events – Subrosa can be a great place to do an open event about your group or campaign and reach new people.
- Meetings / Study groups / Discussion Groups / Reading Groups (closed meetings would need to be at times when we are not open to the public) – you don’t always need to book if your group is small and you are coming while we are open, check the calendar to make sure it doesn’t clash with another event.
- Skillshares / Making things
- Food events – we have a kitchen so this can be used for events when the cafe is not open, or if you are interested in volunteering on an evening & cooking food linked to the event you want to put on that’s also possible
- A combination of the above or anything you want! We want the space to be used for anything that gets people thinking, talking, singing, shouting, dancing… if you are not sure if your event is suitable just get in touch on firstname.lastname@example.org.
We normally don’t charge for events but we do accept donations to help cover the space costs. If your event is profit making or if you would like to charge on the door please discuss it with us first.
How to book an Event at Subrosa
For info on how to book an event please see our event booking page online.
Facilities & Access
Subrosa is one single open plan space, we also have a kitchen and toilet. There are two steps to get into the space from street level and we have a foldable wheel chair access ramp which can be put out. The toilet has been adapted to be more accessible than it was when we moved in and is spacious with a wide door and a support frame that can be moved over the toilet. It is possible to get into the kitchen with a wheelchair, but the counters are not at an accessible level and the floor is uneven. Please contact us if you would like more information about accessibility or the space.
General info Email: manchestersocialcentre[at]gmail.com
Events booking email: email@example.com
Please get in touch if you would like more info or if you have an event you’d like to do – we’d love to hear your ideas!